Gotu Kola and Ginkgo biloba offer similar benefits and advantages. However, are any differences or advantages to each other? Which one works for anxiety and depression better?
Certain people get more benefits from Gotu kola regarding anxiety and depression because it might not interact with other drugs like Gingko Biloba as well as has fewer side effects.
Ginkgo biloba works by increasing oxygen levels in the brain. Specifically, the brain area is called “the hippocampus” and allows the production of new brain cells by activating BDNF protein which helps mood, reduces anxiety, and promotes better learning capability.
This article will explain which herbs you can use to handle your anxiety.
- Both Gingko Biloba and Gotu kola reduce anxiety by triggering the GABA signal. Yet, Gotu Kola has a unique substance called “Asiatic acid,” which might better regulate the neurotransmitter GABA, promoting calming effects and reducing anxiety.
- Ginkgo biloba acts as an adaptogen and balances stress-related abnormalities in the brain(catecholamine). Ginkgo also has dopaminergic and noradrenergic properties that reduce depressive symptoms and boost focus and mood.
- If you have Anxiety, Gotu Kola might be a better choice because of its fewer side effects and better tolerability. Regardless, you can combine anxiety, and both are well-tolerated.
Gotu Kola and Gingko Help: How They Work, and Benefits
Gotu Kola has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. It is a natural tranquilizer that stimulates GABA receptors and helps you reduce anxiety-stress and other mental health conditions, but the research is limited.
Unlike Gotu Kola, Gingko inhibits the neurotoxicity of amyloid-β protein and protects brain cells from environmental toxins.
Research has found Gingko Biloba has a therapeutic effect on depression and mood problems as well as stimulates the production of new neurons by increasing BDNF protein in the hippocampus.
People with a deficiency of BDNF tend to have more depression and anxiety symptoms.
Both are good for anxiety and depression by stimulating oxygen in the brain and reducing stress and anxiety.
Related: GABA, and The Benefits Of Anxiety
Gotu Kola And Ginkgo Biloba Both Are Antioxidant
Gotu Kola and Ginkgo Biloba contain high flavonoids and terpenoids that prevent oxidative stress by lowering inflammation and protecting Mitochondria from toxic damage.
Chronic inflammation causes the release of inflammatory hormones, such as IL-6, TNF alfa, and Cortisol. Too much Cortisol represses the brain chemicals, including Serotonin, GABA, and BDNF protein which induces worsened mental health conditions. Gingko Biloba and Gotu Kola act as antioxidants to protect brain cells from environmental damage.
Additionally, Gingko Biloba also protects the aluminum accumulation in the brain, which is highly toxic for brain cells and causes mental and cognitive problems.
Both Of Them Helps Better Circulation
Circulation is important because low-quality blood flow to the brain can impair cognitive functions and impact mood.
The brain needs an adequate supply of oxygen and nutrients to work at its best. Poor blood flow can be caused by strokes, memorial problems, anxiety, and other risk factors.
Studies showed oxygen supplies could support the following:
- Stimulate Neurogenesis
- Increase memory capacity.
- Boost concentration.
- Develop stronger alertness.
That’s why I like the Wim Hof Breathing methods, which reduce inflammation and support oxygen levels.
Yet, Ginkgo and Gotu Cola have been found to improve blood circulation and oxygenation of the brain and memory.
The More Oxygen In Your Brain, Better Brain Chemicals
The brain is the center of most mental activity. The brain and its billions of neurons constantly send signals to one another. This constant flow of information allows you to think, feel and act.
The chemicals released by the brain can be grouped into neurotransmitters and hormones. Neurotransmitters are used as a message between neurons, while hormones regulate bodily functions like blood pressure and temperature.
The more you improve blood circulation and oxygenation of the brain, the more you will experience the secretion of positive chemicals such as Serotonin and Melatonin(Sleep hormone.)
Thanks to Gotu Kola and Gingko Biloba for helping blood circulation.
Anxiety might worsen if you have Serotonin, especially Melatonin deficiency, and studies showed that people Melatonin can reduce anxiety behavior.
You Can Use Two Of Them
You can combine both of them because they both work synergetically with each other.
The two plants have similar medicinal properties but differ in some ways. You can try it yourself and check which works better for you.
Other Methods For Fighting Anxiety And Depression
New studies showed that anxiety is mostly related to Cognitive Distortions, inflammations, Nutritional Deficiency (especially Magnesium, B6, and B1), and Sleep problems. (Melatonin Deficiency, EMF exposure, and Blue Light Exposure At Night)
Some techniques can help to get a better handle on anxiety, such as:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: One of the most effective treatments for depression is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). CBT is designed to help people understand what causes their negative thoughts and behaviors and how they can change them. CBT is more effective than medication alone in treating depression.
- Melatonin: Melatonin is a hormone that regulates our circadian rhythm (our body clock). It is synthesized from Serotonin by the pineal gland in the brain. Studies have shown that just one night of sleep deprivation can significantly affect mental health, including anxiety and depression.
- Exercise: Exercise is one of the most important things people can do for their mood. It stimulates new brain cells and secretes mood-boosting chemicals such as dopamine, GABA, endorphins, Serotonin, and norepinephrine. And support if you do it earlier, you at night helps to get better sleep by promoting better Melatonin secretion.
Regular Meditation and Wim Hof Breathing methods can also support inflammation levels, promote calmness, and reduce anxiety.
Gotu Kola and Ginkgo biloba have similar properties and might benefit some people.
If you decide to use Guto kola, make sure standardized extracts contain 40% asiaticoside, 29 to 30% Asiatic acid, 29 to 30 % madecassic acid, and 1 to 2% madecassoside. Otherwise, you won’t see the benefits it should.
You can also choose a standardized extract of Ginkgo biloba (EGb) 761 (EGb761 because It contains 6% terpene lactones and 24% flavonoid glycoside, and most scientific research investigated in that form.
I hope this article works for you
Thank you for reading.